SPRINGFIELD — Beginning Saturday, Feb. 27, necessary dialing for residential and enterprise prospects will happen the place all native calls made inside the Illinois 217 Space Code must be positioned utilizing the 10-digit phone quantity — space code and seven-digit phone quantity.
On Feb. 27, the 447 space code will probably be added as an overlay to the area at present served by space code 217 to make sure a unbroken provide of phone numbers for the world. An overlay is the addition of one other space code to the identical geographic area served by an present space code.
On Aug. 16, 2006, the ICC ordered an space code overlay for the 217 Space Code to be carried out upon the exhaust of obtainable, unassigned 217 prefixes. An overlay doesn’t require prospects to alter their present space code or phone quantity.
Beginning March 27, new phone strains or companies could also be assigned numbers utilizing the brand new 447 space code.
The ICC needs shoppers to know that:
• Folks searching for new cellphone service after March 27 could also be assigned a cellphone quantity with the 447 space code.
• Present phone numbers, together with present space code, won’t change.
• Folks might want to dial space code + phone quantity for all native calls. You’ll proceed to dial 1 + space code + phone quantity for all lengthy distance calls.
• What’s an area name now will stay an area name. The worth of a name, protection space, or different charges and companies won’t change as a result of overlay.
• Folks can nonetheless dial simply three digits to achieve 911, 211 and 811 — in addition to 311 and 511, the place accessible.
You need to determine your phone quantity as a 10-digit quantity, itemizing each the world code and the seven-digit phone quantity, and embrace the world code when giving the quantity to individuals.
Prospects ought to guarantee all companies, computerized dialing gear, functions, software program, or different varieties of gear acknowledge the brand new 447 space code as a sound space code. The ICC additionally suggests checking enterprise stationery, promoting supplies, private checks and private or pet ID tags to make sure the world code is included within the phone quantity itemizing.
Necessary security and safety gear, corresponding to medical alert gadgets, and alarm and safety techniques should be programmed to make use of 10-digit dialing. Many techniques function on 10-digit dialing by default however some older gear should still use seven digits. Folks ought to contact their medical alert or safety supplier if they’ve questions.
All native calls should be programmed utilizing 10-digits and can want individuals so as to add ‘1’ for all lengthy distance calls.
For extra data, go to www.icc.illinois.gov/ or contact your native phone service supplier.